I have a samsung galaxy ace 2 i8180P mobile phone (note the P at the end) and I wanted to install CyanogenMod 10.1 (custom rom) on that.After installation I noticed performance gain approximately ~40%.I’m writing this post in case someone else finds it useful too.Please not that after the installation of this custom rom you will loose the NFC capability of i8160P model.Also you should BACKUP everything important from your phone before proceeding further as many things can go wrong.By installing this rom you are breaking your phone warranty as well.
You MUST have Official Android Jelly Bean v 4.1.2 installed from Samsung Kies on your phone to make this work!
What will you need:
1. CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM for Samsung Galaxy Ace II i8160 (not P version). Download
2. Google Apps Download
3. ROOT for Ace 2 Download
3. ClockWorkMod Recovery (temporary mode) Download
1. Backup your important data.
2. Put all .zip (except CyanogenMod 10.1 zip) file into your phones sd card.
3. Poweroff your phone.
4. Press Volume UP + Home Button + Power Button together and hold them until you get into Recovery environment.
5. Select Install zip -> choose zip from sdcard -> select ROOT.ZIP and apply. Then select reboot phone.When phone boots up check to see if SuperSU application exists in your apps.If yes then you have successfully rooted your device.
6. Poweroff your phone again and press again Volume UP + Home Button + Power until you get on recovery environment.Select again install zip -> from sdcard -> select CWM.ZIP and apply.
7. After successfull installation you will be directed to ClockWorkMod Recovery environment this time.At this point it is recommended to do a full backup of your phone by using this utility.So, Select Backup & Restore -> backup and wait until your Official ROM is backed up on your sdcard.Note that you need sufficient space on your sdcard for this process to be completed.
8. After backup is completed reboot your phone again.
9. Open the CyanogenMod 10.1 zip file on your computer by using Winrar or 7-zip.Connect your phone with usb cable also.Download to your phone an app called Root Explorer or ROOT BROWSER (from Google Play).Use this app to navigate to this path: /system/lib/tee and copy “tee” folder to your phones sd card. Download this “tee” folder to your computer and overwrite the same folder located in the CyanogenMod .zip file.I did this by just dragging the folder to Winrar open window.
10. This step is only for the owners of i8160P (NOT i8160). Extract the file META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script from CyanoGenMOD .zip file and open it with notepad.REMOVE the following first three lines:
“assert(getprop(“ro.product.device”) == “codina” || getprop(“ro.build.product”) == “codina” || getprop(“ro.product.device”) == “i8160” || getprop(“ro.build.product”) == “i8160” || getprop(“ro.product.device”) == “GT-I8160” || getprop(“ro.build.product”) == “GT-I8160″);”
…and save the file.Put this file again in the .zip file and ovwerwrite the previous one.Verify that the .zip file now contains the modified “updater-script” file.
11. Put CyanoGenMod 10.1 zip file on your phone’s sd card and poweroff the phone.
12. Press Volume UP + Home + Power button and enter recovery.Select install zip -> from sdcard -> Select CWM.ZIP -> apply.
13. From ClockWorkMod environment select: Wipe data/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache Partition, -> advanced -> wipe dalvik cache
14. Go back -> install zip -> zip from sdcard -> Select CyanogenMod 10.1 zip file -> apply
15. Select install zip -> from sd card > select google apps zip -> apply Wait until is finished and then select reboot device.If everything went ok then it should start loading the CyanogenMod!